I've only recently started to feel "unjinxy" in terms of buying things for the baby's room. Since I've started researching for gear and furniture, my first impression is how much of a financial racket this whole baby-thing is. It's like my wedding all over again. Everything's at a premium and ridiculously overpriced.
So what NukeBoy and I did was hit Babies R' Us to test drive what we were interested in, then I started registering at Amazon.com for everything at a much cheaper cost. Plus, almost all of it is free shipping!
On top of that, Uncle Buck and I have been relentlessly hitting yard sales, thrift stores, and consignment shops for slightly used items at a significant price reduction.
Well, here's what we've done so far to the room:
![]() |
| Click Pics to Enlarge |
The next thing was to get the closet filled with storage. The room is rather small, so all of the clothes and most of the toys will need to go in the strangely large closet. I purchased assemble-yourself cubbies and drawers which I think will work perfectly for all the tiny, precious, little baby outfits and socks.
NukeBoy and I assembled his childhood trundle bed, and I purchased a navy blue/light blue reversible bed ensemble. I'm on the lookout for a toy chest to go in front of the bed; something in that wood finish would be perfect. Scouring consignment and antique stores for that.
Uncle Buck and I hit a flea market recently, and I scored big time finding these really cool lobster trap bouys. With a bit of primer and a new paint design to match the color scheme of the room, these bad boys will really enhance the nautical theme.
Another cheap find was this barely-been-used portable crib. This will come in super handy when visiting family and going to soccer games. Not bad for twenty bucks!
Also on the used market, I refinished this tiny little rocking chair ($8). How cute will my son look reading his second-grade-level books at age three. (After all, I only breed geniuses!)
Since the room is so small, dressers are out, but I found this solution at The Christmas Tree Shops. Just perfect to be used as a combo nightstand and mini-dresser.
Complimenting the nightstand is an anchor lamp, daddy's picture from a trip to Block Island in a perfectly colored sea frame, and a tiny clipper ship I can paint to match the room.
Next, I've gotten all kinds of wall hangings and frames with a sea/nautical feel and theme. I purchased bags of shells to add that perfect flare to certain items, and most ambitiously, I purchased a second bed quilt and fabric squares to make my own crib quilt. No way in h-e-double-hockey-sticks am I, or anyone in my family, is going to drop $200 on a crib set. NUTS! Two-packs of crib sheets are $11 at Walmart, I've already purchased a breathable bumper at a consignment shop for $10, and the fabric for the quilt only cost me $25. Now I just need a pattern and ambition.
Lastly, this unassembled pile of junk is a changing table I found for $15. After a new paint job to match the wood in the rest of the room, lining the bottom shelves with matching fabric, and pop in a new changing pad, I've got exactly what I'm looking for, since I can't find anything I truly want in stores or online. Picky and high maintenance? I know. But I want what I want. It's the way I roll.
As you can see, there are no real pastels in the room. There's nothing that has been turning me and NukeBoy off more than all that cutesy baby crap we've been seeing in the stores. Which is kind of odd, since we are having a baby. But don't babies respond to vibrant colors better, anyway?
Besides, doesn't it mean more when I put my heart and soul into making and refurbishing everything with my own hands? Or, maybe it means I'm just a glutton for punishment.
Can't wait to meet you, Baby Boy! I hope you approve of everything I'm doing for your room!
Yankee Doodle Dandy,
-TYG





No comments:
Post a Comment