Wow, have I been busy these last two weeks. Between Father's Day and my husband's 50th birthday, I've had Pinterest on overload and my glue gun HOT!
The first of three posts this week is my take on this post by inmyownstyle.com for decoupaging paperweights. I modified the project by using images of my son and giving the weights a rope border to add more mass.
The first thing I needed was some glass, so I found this old light fixture for $5 at my local ReStore and tore at it. Be very careful not to cut yourself on the old soldering.
After ejecting all the plates, I gave them a good wash in warm, soapy water.
Next, measuring. I used these measurements to edit photos of my son to decoupage onto the glass and also to cut a black, felt backing.
The one very disappointing turn this project took was that the decoupage didn't work with the glossy photo paper, and I didn't have the time to try to find out a better way to do this. So, I ended up using very small dabs of clear super glue to adhere the photos to the back of the glass plates. It didn't turn out so bad, and you can barely see the glus lines.
Once in place, I used basic tacky glue to put the felt backing in place.
I used my new fangled rotary cutter to cut out the pictures, the felt backing, and to trim around the glass once everything dried.
Although cute, I felt the the bare glass was a bit unsafe. Digging into my craft tub, I came across some rope and hot glued it around the edges.
Voila!
The old light fixture ended up giving me eight glass plates. I made a set of four for my husband and another set for my father-in-law.
A little something precious to stare at during the course of a busy work day.
Until the next!
Yankee Doodle Dandy,
–TYG


No comments:
Post a Comment