Kids aren't always too keen on wearing hand-me-downs. I, on the other hand, was usually excited about it. It usually meant free additions to my wardrobe, and at an early age, I had a rather large and diverse wardrobe. I would receive garbage bags of old clothes from cousins and spend hours going through everything and trying things on.
Now, I'm not sure MonkeyBoy will care either way if his clothes are new or old. He has quite a mix of new, fashion-forward items, and great quality recycled items from consignment stores. However, these three new pieces hold a special place in my heart.
I come from a pretty crafty family, hence my interest in all things crafty and handmade. There's nothing quite like heirloom-quality curios to pass down through the generations.
My mother came by and dropped off some sweaters. Sweaters that were mine as a baby. But better yet, sweaters that were handmade by family. No one knew if I was going to be a boy or a girl, so luckily for MonkeyBoy, the colors are gender neutral.
The first sweater is this fantastic orange, cable knit with matching hat. It was knitted by my Aunt Belle. She was from Ireland. I always loved her accent. MonkeyBoy will definitely look like a harvest Irish fisherman this fall.
The second sweater is a basic Shaker sweater design in blue, which will really bring out MonkeyBoy's eyes. Cuz MonkeyBoy LOVES to bring out his eyes.
My Aunt Barbara made this one for me. I love these tags. I have a batch for myself, but have yet to make clothing where I could use them. I must remedy that.
The third sweater is red and was lovingly knitted by my mother, again, in the Shaker style.
Now, these sweaters were pretty dirty and one big giant fuzz ball. I was very fortunate that a delicate wash took care of the stains and the miracle that is the sweater shaver took care of the pills and fuzz, turning these 37-year-old relics into brand new toddler attire for my son.
Now we just need the cold weather to hurry up and get here. I'm starting to wish for sweatah-weatah myself.
Sweatah-weatah
Sweatah-weatah
Sweatah-weatah
Yankee Doodle Dandy,
– TYG
The third sweater is red and was lovingly knitted by my mother, again, in the Shaker style.
Now, these sweaters were pretty dirty and one big giant fuzz ball. I was very fortunate that a delicate wash took care of the stains and the miracle that is the sweater shaver took care of the pills and fuzz, turning these 37-year-old relics into brand new toddler attire for my son.
Now we just need the cold weather to hurry up and get here. I'm starting to wish for sweatah-weatah myself.
Sweatah-weatah
Sweatah-weatah
Sweatah-weatah
Yankee Doodle Dandy,
– TYG

No comments:
Post a Comment