Thursday, January 31, 2013

KIDS DIY: Fire Breathing Dragon


Another great inspiration, this time from KangarooBoo Blog with ideas for the Chinese New Year. I saw this and knew we just had to make it right away!

Cast of Characters:
  • Scissors
  • Glue
  • Paper cups
  • Crepe paper
  • Construction paper
  • Pompoms
  • Googly eyes
I actually had all these items already in my stash. I tend not to throw anything out, and I still had a ton of red streamers leftover from MonkeyBoy's first birthday, and green paper cups from his second birthday. Of course, these little guys would be so much fun in any color.


STEP 1
Cut out the bottoms of the paper cups.
MonkeyBoy promptly used the circles to make "crafts", as he calls them, for eye pizzas.

STEP 2
I found a rag-tag piece of green construction paper and cut out scale shapes and had MonkeyBoy glue them sporadically all over the cup. 
STEP 3
Cut the crepe paper into strips and glue on the inside, top lip of the cup. I used crepe paper because it is very light and will easily blow around. Tissue paper would work well, too.

STEP 4
Glue on pompoms for eyes.

STEP 5
Glue on googly eyes on top of pompoms.

STEP 6
After I finished him, he looked naked without some nostrils, so I fished out a couple of green pompoms to put on his nose.

STEP 7
When the monsoon finally blows by our house this morning, we'll go outside and get some sticks. The original blog post for this craft used large popsicle sticks or tongue depressers as a handle.





STEP 8
Blow and roar into the cup!!!


Yankee Doodle Dandy,
– TYG

No comments:

Post a Comment