Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Antique Finds: Lincoln Logs!

I cannot believe I'm saying this, but I found a canister of Lincoln Logs that I had as a child in an antique store for $9,  and I bought them for my son.






This is the canister I affectionately remember as a tike. I was a child of the late 70's and through the 80's. So, yes, my toys are officially considered "vintage".

Does anyone else remember that lovely, wooden smell when you opened that can? It's right up there with Crayola and Play Dough.

The first thing my son did was put the empty canister over his head and start talking. Like mother, like son! The apple didn't fall far from that tree!



Oh, those wooden slats. These are sun-worn, but I can remember those bright, aqua-green slats like it was yesterday. I had so much fun creating and recreating all the pictures on the can, and coming up with a few architectural masterpieces of my own.



Nowadays, the roofs are made of plastic, with lots of detail. But the pioneers of yore did not put gabled windows in their log cabins on the plains. Harumph.

The bottom line, the mixture of old and new worked out great. We needed a few extra longer logs to elaborate on his existing set; there always seems to be a surplus of those tiny connector logs. The parts are still completely interchangeable; they are just two different color browns. 

Still, at age three, my son is all about mommy building, and him demolishing.

Until the next!

Yankee Doodle Dandy,
–TYG

No comments:

Post a Comment