Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Taming the Tongue

I consider what I found today a sign.  I find, lately, when I question things, the answers begin to appear.  Mainly, it’s been appearing on Sundays with Pastor Del.  

I now know where I learned my incessant behavior of bad mouthing people and judging them beyond what our Lord may even do on their day of reckoning:  my family.  It was wonderful spending Mother’s Day with my mom, but the entire lunch was about cutting to pieces my step sister, her ex-husband, and anyone else that needed to be cut.  Then I proceeded to perpetuate  this diatribe by sharing with my husband and BFF everything I learned adding my own psychoanalysis.

Don't get me wrong! My mom is an amazing person. One of the sweetest people you could meet. She'd do anything for you. In fact, my whole family is that way, including the small group of friends I encircle myself with. But we ALL do it: Gossip and bad mouth. What a better way to make yourself feel better than by cutting down those around you, right?

There is someone I work with that refuses to let a conversation get “nasty.”  He uses words like “challenges” or “curious behaviors” to describe people.  He wasn’t always this way, but I’ve been watching how he has grown into someone you like to always be around.  There is bad (or are challenges) in everyone.  What that is is not for us to decide and announce to the world.  Most people can see another person for what they are without any help.  The good, however, is something I feel should be shared.  Instead of seeing the worst in everyone, try to see one good aspect and harp on it in your mind. Maybe then you’d be able to train yourself to stop being so critical (kinda like I’m doing to myself?).

I’m reading my favorite blog today about Monkey Cake (which I will be making this week, BTW) submitted by a Pastor.  I clicked to his link to his blog, and this is the passage I came upon.  Perfect timing, I’d say:

James 3:3-12

3 When we put bits into the mouths of horses to make them obey us, we can turn the whole animal. 4 Or take ships as an example. Although they are so large and are driven by strong winds, they are steered by a very small rudder wherever the pilot wants to go. 5 Likewise the tongue is a small part of the body, but it makes great boasts. Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark. 6The tongue also is a fire, a world of evil among the parts of the body. It corrupts the whole person, sets the whole course of his life on fire, and is itself set on fire by hell.
7 All kinds of animals, birds, reptiles and creatures of the sea are being tamed and have been tamed by man, 8 but no man can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison.
9 With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in God’s likeness. 10 Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers, this should not be. 11 Can both fresh water and salt water flow from the same spring? 12 My brothers, can a fig tree bear olives, or a grapevine bear figs? Neither can a salt spring produce fresh water.

http://www.thisisreverb.com/2009/05/matrix.html

So, now maybe I need to come up with a code word, like Fairypants.

Yankee Doodle Dandy,
TYG

No comments:

Post a Comment