Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Leftovers for Lunch


So, I'm eating leftovers for lunch. It wasn't too great last night when I originally made it, and it's not too great now.

I thought I'd make a stir fry.  I had one chicken breast left in the freezer along with some peas that were starting to dehydrate.  Why not?

To mix things up, or spice things up as it were, I dug into my spice cabinet and whipped out my Oriental Five Spice powder that I got at Ocean State Job Lot for 88¢.  You know the stuff. I have bottles of these things that topple on my head every time I try to find the spice I need.



So, I coated my chicken pieces already alerted to the fact the smell wasn't what I expected.  Is that nutmeg?  I don't know what the "five spices" entailed, but it WAS NOT what I was expecting.  The chicken is coated with this stuff.

There are some that believe the five spices represent the elements of life:  earth, water, fire, air, and metal. Then there are those that say it represents the five basic cooking flavors:  sweet, sour, salty, bitter, savory.  In reality it's cinnamon, cloves, anise, fennel, and Sichuan pepper.  


Well, whatever it is, it didn't mix well with my Soy Vay Veri Veri Teriyaki sauce, which is a shame.  That sauce kicks butt, takes names, opens cans of whip-ass, and is a bag of chips.




Ugh, I don't even know if I'll finish it.


Yankee Doodle Dandy,
TYG

1 comment:

  1. Which spice is the one that represents the element of metal? Cuz that's the one that sounds like it would ruin a meal. "Mmm this chicken taste like copper." Since when is metal one of the ancient elements anyway? I think metal is pretty much covered in the earth category.

    ReplyDelete